Pages

Photobucket

Thursday, July 1, 2010

New Release – Fire and Ash & Character Interview

Since Fire and Ash releases today, I thought it was only fitting that I bring in a very special guest. Please welcome Fire Investigator, Sadie McGregor. Sadie is the heroine in Fire and Ash. A former firefighter, Sadie now shifts through the ashes to determine the causes of fires she’s called to investigate.


[Anne] Sadie, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to visit with me today. Will you tell us what made you decide to be a fire investigator?

[Sadie] Well, Anne, it wasn’t really my choice. I’ve wanted to be a firefighter since I was a little girl. I had to give up that dream seven years ago when a floor gave out from underneath me and I fell, striking my head. The blunt force trauma caused a detached retina and the loss of my peripheral vision in my right eye. So, now, instead of fighting fires I determine their causes. Sometimes it can be just as exciting.

[Anne] I would imagine.  Tell our readers why you’ve returned to your hometown of Emerald Point, Missouri.

[Sadie] A fire has claimed the life of a local college student and I have to determine if it is arson or not.

[Anne] I couldn’t help but notice a very handsome man hanging around the fire scene with you. Care to tell me who he is?

[Sadie] *with a grin* Quinn Harrington. He’s the new police chief.

[Anne] Hmmm interesting. How are you two getting along? I mean with the case of course.

[Sadie] *shrugs shoulder* Okay I guess. Aside from being a little clumsy, he seems competent in his job.

[Anne] A little clumsy?

[Sadie] *chuckles* Yeah, we had a little mishap in the basement earlier.

[Anne] Dare I ask what the two of you were doing in the basement?

[Sadie] Working of course. I was pointing out some red flags that suggest the fire was intentionally set.

[Anne] So you’ve already determined its arson?

[Sadie] My preliminary findings suggest it is. We won’t know for sure until I get the lab results back.

[Anne] *smiles* So you and Quinn will be spending a lot of time together, huh?

[Sadie] Looks that away. Just between you and me, I’m sort of looking forward to it.

[Anne] I bet you are.

[Sadie] I know that look, Anne, and you can forget about it. We’re working the case together, that’s it. Let’s not forget we have a murderer on the loose.

[Anne] That’s true. You need to keep things professional between you two.

[Sadie] Exactly *clears throat*.

[Anne] So when you’re not investigating fires, what do you like to do?

[Sadie] I like to tinker with classic cars. Presently I’m helping my Uncle Joe rebuild a 66 Mustang that we hope to enter in some car shows next year.

[Anne] That’s kind of a strange hobby for a woman.

[Sadie] So I’ve been told *grinning*. I tried needle point once and almost ended up in the emergency room. I do love to cook though. All the McGregor women are great cooks.

[Anne] *smiling* I’m sure Quinn will be glad to hear that.

[Sadie] Anne, you’re starting to sound like my cousin Liz. She’s always trying to fix me up.

[Anne] LOL. Sounds like you are pretty close to your uncle and his family. Joe’s the fire chief, right?

[Sadie] That’s right. And we are all very close. I lost my own family when I was seven. Joe and Hannah took me in and raised me.

[Anne] I’m sorry about your family. That must have been tough to deal with. I’m glad they’ve been there for you.

[Sadie] Yeah, I don’t know what I’d do without them.

[Anne] Well, Sadie, I suppose I’ve kept you long enough. Any parting words for our readers?

[Sadie] I want to thank you, Anne, for telling my story. I don’t think your readers will be disappointed. Shall we share the blurb and an excerpt to entice them?

[Anne] That’s a great idea, Sadie! I’ll let you chose. And what do you say we give away a copy of the book in a drawing Monday evening, say around seven (CST)?  Friends, all you have to do is leave a comment.

[Sadie] Sounds good to me. *Shifts through the chapters and comes up with an excerpt* Okay, here you go, Anne. This is one of my favorite scenes. Now I better go track Quinn down and get back to work. Have fun! And good luck everyone!

Blurb:

Fire Investigator Sadie McGregor is called to her hometown of Emerald Point, Missouri to investigate a suspicious fire which claimed the life of a local college student. By appearance the fire looks like the girl was just careless. What Sadie and the handsome new sheriff discover will not only affect those close to them, but will rock the entire community. Purchase here: http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-98/Fire-and-Ash/Detail.bok .

Excerpt:

Half asleep, Sadie entered the kitchen and headed directly to the coffee maker. She took a cup from the cabinet, picked up the glass coffee pot and poured. Behind her she heard a roar of laughter. Looking down, she found the cup, as well as the pot, was empty. Aggravated, she glanced over her shoulder to the kitchen table where her family all sat watching her. "Who drank all the coffee and didn't start another pot?"

"That's what you get for sleeping in," Liz said with a grin.

Hannah got up and moved toward her. "Here, honey, sit down here and finish mine. I'll start another pot."

Sadie gave her a hug. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now go on, sit down, and eat your breakfast."

She flopped down in the chair Hannah had vacated, traded the dirty place setting for the clean one next to it, then picked up her fork and stabbed the last pancake.

Joe handed her the plate with the last of the bacon. "Don't think that just because you were out all night that you're skipping out on church this morning."

Sadie glanced up at her uncle's comment just as Liz laughed. Sadie had hoped for a reprieve. It didn't appear as though she was getting one. "Fine, I'll go to church, but I'm not wearing a dress because I didn't bring one."

"You can borrow one of mine, I brought an extra one."

Sadie kicked her cousin under the table. "Mind your own business," she warned, a smile lingering just below the surface.

Liz seemed about to speak when Mary and Robbie ran into the room. Mary paused next to Sadie's chair. "It's about time you got up."

Liz laughed again.

Robbie climbed onto the empty chair next to Sadie. "Where were you last night?" he asked. "You were supposed to color with me."

Having just taken a bite, Sadie swallowed quickly, before turning to the young boy. "I'm sorry, Robbie. We'll color today, I promise."

"Okay." He plopped one elbow on the table, rested his chin in the palm of his hand, and watched her eat. "Are you coming to church with us?"

"Of course she's coming to church with us," Joe answered for her.

Sadie forced a smile. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Hannah filled her coffee cup. "So are you going to tell us where you were all evening?"

"No." Sadie scooped up her breakfast dishes and moved past Hannah to the sink. She smiled to herself as she rinsed off the plates and placed them in the dishwasher. She and Quinn had stayed at the arcade until Julius insisted he had to close. She'd had a wonderful time, despite her earlier confrontation with Dustin Zweener.

"Well wherever she was, the police had to bring her home. I saw a police cruiser leaving the drive shortly before one," Liz said loud enough for Sadie to hear.

"Did Sadie get arrested last night?" Mary asked.

Oh, good grief! Sadie returned to the table, grabbed her cup of coffee, and met Mary's widened eyes. "I did not get arrested. I was working on a case."

"You were with Quinn all night?" Joe joined in the interrogation.

Sadie rolled her eyes. "I'm going to get dressed. Where's your stupid dress?"

"Hanging in my closet," Liz answered with a smile. "Be sure and do your hair, you'll want to let him know there is a feminine side to you."

She ignored her comment and headed toward the stairs. "Is there something going on here I should know about," she heard her uncle ask, followed by a round of laugher from her aunt and cousin.


*****

In closing I want to send out a huge congratulations to fellow Desert Breeze author, Danielle Thorne who is also celebrating a new release today. Be sure to drop by Danielle’s blog: http://thebalancedwriter.blogspot.com/ to hear all about her ‘sweet’ sea-romance, By Heart and Compass. And don’t forget to comment because she’s giving away a copy of her book too.


Congratulations, Danielle!  LET'S PARTY!!!

23 comments:

Jan Marie said...

Love the dialogue between you and Sadie! What a perfect way to grab the attention of your audience. I am already sold on theis book just from reading this excerpt and it has been added to my MUST read list ... would love to win a copy!

janmarien[at]embarqmail[dot]com

Anne Patrick said...

Thank you, Jan. It was a fun. She's been in my head so long, it seemed only natural to wrangle her into doing an interview.

Good luck, and thanks for dropping by!

(((hugs)))
Anne

Rebecca J Vickery said...

Hi Sadie and Anne,
Congrats to both of you on the release and the exciting story!
Quinn sounds like a worthwhile project even if he is a bit clumsy. LOL Can't wait to read about that.
Wishing you many, many sales on this one and the best of reviews!

Anonymous said...

What a great and interesting post. It was a lot of fun. Love the premise and look of the new novel. Best wishes.

Miss Mae said...

I'm amazed at how you come up with so many, wonderful plots! You are a master at story telling, my friend!

Congrats on the release of your newest book! (cover is awesome, and that interview was a rib tickler!)

Unknown said...

Very Clever, Anne--I love the cover for this book--it's perfect. Sadie is a great character, and I especially like the excerpt with her family. Well done--congratulations on this new release and best wishes for lots of sales! Celia

Gail Pallotta said...

Sounds like Sadie has her hands full, but she's just the kind of girl who can handle it. She and I share the same sentiments about sewing. I once tried to learn how to cross-stitch and sewed the cross-stitch material to my blue jeans.
Congratulations, Anne, on your new release. It sounds like another good book.

DanielleThorne said...

Great interview, Sadie (and Anne, too, hee hee). I loved the picture of Sadie and the premise of this novel sounds so intriguing. It's a shame Sadie has some problems with her eyesight, but I admire how she's made lemon pie with lemons...and gone into arson investigation. I'm looking forward to getting a hold of this one, Anne! And AWESOME cover!

E.A. West said...

Fire and Ash sounds amazing! Fire investigation is such a fascinating thing...yeah, this book just landed on my To Read list. :)

Congratulations on the release, Anne. May you have much success!

Laurean Brooks said...

gAnne, I could sense the chemistry between Quinn and Sadie through your conversation.

Interesting interview. Put my name in the pot for the drawing. I'd love to read this book

Unknown said...

OK, please don't enter me in this contest as I already have the book but I just HAD to stop by and say how I feel. This is AN INCREDIBLE book. If you like romantic suspense, you're gonna get it I PROMISE! The plot was amazing and I fell in love with the characters.

Danielle, Congrats on your release today and crossing everything for good sales on both your books!

Val

Redameter said...

Great blog, sounds like a winner to me. Good luck.
Love and blessings
Rita

DanielleThorne said...

Well I know if Val loved it, it's good but I already knew that since I've already read three of Anne's book. I'm going "shopping tonight" online since American Eagle is having a 30% sale off clearance and free shipping so I'm getting FIRE AND ASH and a couple other books on my TBR list for my vacation next week. Happy sales, Anne!

Anne Patrick said...

[Anne] Wow, look at all the wonderful comments, Sadie! Now aren't you glad you did the interview?

[Sadie] I sure am, Anne! I think Quinn is a little jealous you didn't ask him to do one too.

[Anne] Well the next time you see him, tell him he's welcome to drop by. I have a few questions I'd love to ask him.

[Sadie] Should I be worried?

[Anne] LOL

Anne Patrick said...

Thanks for dropping back by, Danielle. I loved your post about your new release, By Heart and Compass. I can't wait to read it!

Anne Patrick said...

Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments and well wishes everyone!

Val, you were one of my first readers of Fire and Ash. Thank you for your kind words about it. I'm so glad you liked it!

I hope Sadie doesn't forget to pass along the word to Quinn about dropping by. It'll be interesting to find out what he thinks about working with a female fire investigator. I bet he likes it quite a lot, don't you?

Elizabeth Morgan said...

Sounds like an awesome read.

Cassie Simmons said...

I love this interview, Anne! Very creative!

I've had my eye on this one for a long time. I can't wait to read it!

cassiemsimmons@gmail.com

marcusdweston said...

Anne,
Congratulations on yet another release! I look forward to reading it.

Marcus

Anne Patrick said...

Elizabeth, Cassie & Marcus, thank you so much for dropping by. I appreciate your support and well wishes!

(((Hugs)))
Anne

Crystal Ennis said...

I couldn't wait to see if I won a copy so I bought one. I'M LOVING IT!!!!

Thank you for another GREAT READ!

Anne Patrick said...

Thank you, Crystal. I appreciate it! Enjoy your holiday weekend, my friend.

Unknown said...

This book sounds so amazing! The title and the cover are so intriguing as well!

Kim
lonebanana(at)msn(dot)com

The Breast Cancer Site