Pages

Photobucket

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What inspires Theresa

For me, a new story can start from anything. A snippet of overheard conversation, an article in newspaper or magazine, a person, a dream, another book or a movie can set a story in motion. If the story idea stays in my head without me writing anything down for a few days, if it continues to grow without me consciously thinking about it, I know it could turn into a book.

But it's not until I see the lead characters clearly in my head, that I start putting down notes on paper or in a Word document. A story doesn't come to life until I have the right characters. Once I have the hero and heroine clear in my mind, that's when the plot happens. I start writing as soon as I know the beginning of the book, and I continue to write until I need to do research.

Or until the middle of the book, when writer's block sets in. Never fails. I set the book aside and work on another project for a few days, and then I go back and reread what I'd written. I might have to put it aside again for a few more days, but eventually I'll find the place where the story went wrong and fix it. Soon after I'm writing 'the end'.

Some books are easier to write then others. I wrote Renovations, Book 2 in The Sisters Callaway, in less than three months without hitting that dreaded writer's block. I wish A Difficult Choice, Book 3 of the series, was going as smoothly. This one is really kicking my butt.

Good thing, though. I know I'll find out where I went wrong and finish the story.

I always do.

2 comments:

Diane Craver said...

Anne,
I've awarded your blog the Versatile Blogger award. Information about it on my blog!

Diane Craver said...

That's great you wrote a book under 3 months - I don't think I have ever done that. I enjoyed your guest post, Theresa!

The Breast Cancer Site